Impulse

Impulse

About This Game

Impulse is a game that was built around the idea of having the player feel like they have epic control of a game through a physics based combat system. We wanted to have whoever is playing this game feel as if they were able to force push energy at enemies and see the feedback of them all soaring away into the distance.

Our prototype for this game was shown at the EAE Open House on December 6th, 2012 and a lot of people enjoyed playing our game. We enjoyed watching people playtest our game and we received a lot of great feedback from everyone coming through and had the time to talk.


Release Date: December, 2012

Engine/Dev Tools: Unity, Maya

Game Dev Cycle: 3 Weeks

Collaboration with:

  • EAE (Entertainment Arts and Engineering Program)
  • The University of Utah
  • Zeph Fagergren – Producer / Audio Engineer
  • Andrew Witts – Producer / Level Designer
  • Damean Lyon – Lead Artist
  • Cody Hansen – Lead Engineer
  • Jake Muehle – Engineer
  • Jason Kanagaratnam – Engineer
  • Jason Thummel – Engineer
  • Nikhil Raktale – Engineer
  • Chunran Wang – Engineer

Project Blog

The Post Mortem Process: December 16, 2012

The Post Mortem process was good for us as well. After we showed our game off at the EAE Open House, we had an in class game jam. We built our game fairly quick due to fleshing out our idea and making sure we knew what we were going to build well before we built it. So the process went by very smooth.  One of our main goals we decided we wanted to do in the very beginning of this process was to be as organized as possible so that when we finally all sat down to build assets for the game, we were all on the same page and could build our parts out very quick. Since we had two producers on this team, we both played different roles in finishing up the game. My role was to be in charge of note taking, organization, being the SCRUM Master, recording and mixing the audio, and making sure everyone was staying on task with our due dates. The other producer, Andrew Witts, was in charge of leading group discussions, keeping the team vision on the same page and play testing the game to make sure it was fun. Neither Andrew nor myself were allowed to do any design on this project.

We decided to stay organized through the use of a wiki, which I designed for the team. I learned that this is a very efficient way to keep the team up to date on where things are at during the development process. If I could go back and do it again with this group, I would have made sure that I kept as many assets as possible available on the wiki so everyone on the team can have the clearest vision of where the team is at that current time.